Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Avoiding studying

We had our first day with our new kids this morning. It had all the trappings of a first day back home in the states: nothing really being taught, showing the kids where everything is and explaining what's expected of them, nervous parents sending their kids to school without supplies (like a toothbrush, chopsticks, and a towel - all necessities at my school), and so on. Of course the only difference was that my TWO new classes of kids really don't speak any English (The other teachers either have two old classes, or an old class and a new class. My boss owes me big time and she knows it). A few of them know some choice phrases (or just their name in English), but other than that, I'm going to be doing a LOT of pointing, gesturing, and sign language in general to communicate with these kids. The problem comes, of course, when they have a question and can only ask in Korean. I can pick out a little less than a tenth of what they're asking, sometimes I understand the whole question (where is the bathroom), and sometimes I can only catch a single word (teacher, blah blah blah blah blah).

All of my kids are cute, and I can tell that some of my boys are going to be a handful, but I think I'll have fun with them. but I started out today by being nice, but firm, and letting them know that I'm not going to take any misbehavior, but that I also don't understand Korean well, so they have to try their best to speak in English.

Soooo... I'm studying my classroom Korean/English. These are phrases that either I need to be able to say in English and Korean for the kids to understand me, or I need to understand the Korean when they say it to me so I can correct them with the English. For example:

What's this?
Sit nicely.
Line up, please.
Don't do that.
I like it.
I don't like it.
I'm not finished.
Clean up, please.
Help me, please.
I don't know.
Change your shoes.
Be careful.
I'm sorry.
Be quiet, please.

...etc. And I really should know all the Korean by tomorrow. So, back to studying....

Oh yes, and I know I still haven't done Tokyo Part 2. It's coming, I promise. I'm just a bit, well, lazy right now. ^^

1 comment:

아만다 said...

Wow. What a mess. Can you pick up Sogang 1A at a bookstore and find a tutor or language exchange partner through Craigslist?