Thursday, June 25, 2009

It's countdown time

In 48 hours, I will be in an airport, on my way back home after my first year in Korea. I've spent the last few days trying to pack my things and clean my apartment. Most of my belongings are being stored by my generous friends, and just bits and pieces are coming home with me; stuff to give to people, books to add to my collection, and clothes to get me through a week. I've been saying goodbye to friends, most of whom I will see again, but some of whom I won't. I've been doing lots of lasts at school and at home, and most of them sadly sans camera, as I lost mine two weeks ago (though I have SCOURED my apartment and work looking for it). I've even said goodbye already to one of my students whom I only see three times a week and who will be absent on Friday.
It's hard to leave Uijeongbu, the strange city that has become my home over the past year. It's strange to say goodbye to a boss who has been helpful, understanding, seemingly incomprehensible at times, but most of all a guide to a country that has (for the most part) taken me in and allowed me to feel at home. But most of all it's hard to say goodbye to my students, some of whom I have seen five days a week for the past 13 months. My morning students, whom I've only had for 4 months, but who rocketed from no English at all, to learning, playing, speaking, and listening an entire day in English, I will miss the most. They've taught me how to teach ESL, and how to listen to children.
And now, it's time to come home.