Wednesday, September 3, 2008

America is not the world.

I seem to continuously forget that just because something is commonplace in my life does not mean that other people would find it the same. I went to dinner last night with the other teachers at the school, as well as our director and her two kids.


(clockwise left to right: Julie, James, Aly, Cherita, Gina, Me, Sylvia, and Eric)

Julie had to stay late at work, so the six teachers were actually halfway done with dinner when she and her two sons got there. At one point, we were discussing odd food, probably when I was trying the ice noodle soup:


I mentioned to Gina that none of my lemon kids had ever had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and that I had made it for them to try. At this point, James interjects that he's never had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. "Why would I? Who would think of a sandwich with peanut butter and jelly on it?" This is coming from a man who eats bacon sandwiches for dinner. I told him I'd make him one to try, and his response was "I may not like it". I decided later that I wasn't going to make him one and bring it in like I did for the kids, mostly because they're better fresh, and it just seemed silly since we get a snack and lunch at work.
Regardless of if he ever eats one, I keep having to be reminded that what Americans find normal is not, in fact, universally normal. James likes mayonnaise with his fries, I like ketchup. So be it.

4 comments:

persistentillusion said...

Isn't he the Brit? What do Brit's do with their peanut butter?

dreemwhrld said...

He is the Brit. And I have no idea what they do with their peanut butter. I shall have to ask him.

dreemwhrld said...

Ah. Brit's don't really have peanut butter. And their jelly is our Jell-o, and gelatin is an explosive, and their jam is our jelly. Aisha.

Unknown said...

Ah, Brits and Americans, separated by a common language!!