Thursday, October 9, 2008

A close encounter of the animal kind

I saw a field mouse today on my way home. This is the first, true, dyed-in-the-wool field mouse I've ever seen. Of course I've seen my share of rodents, both wild and domesticated (I have a pet snake for goodness' sake). But this is the first wild field mouse I've ever seen, complete with the little arrow shaped tip of his little tail that I saw as he scurried in front of me into the gutters of the street. Best of all, he was running away from, you guessed it, a field.
I was just thinking the other day about the lack of distinctly 'Korean' animals that I've seen here. I remember being very impressed by the few wild iguanas and various other reptiles I'd seen while living in Boca, and wondering what my kids here would think or do if they ever ran across a wild iguana. Then I started thinking about the distinct lack of wild animals I've seen. There's the occasional stray cat, but I actually see the same ones over and over, usually because they live under the cars that are parked outside a restaurant on my way home. I have yet to see a stray dog here. I'm not sure if it's because Koreans don't really own that many dogs, or if it's because they eat any strays that happen to wander through (I'm only half joking). Either way, it was a pleasant and unexpected little surprise that I felt I should share.

2 comments:

persistentillusion said...

What about birds?

dreemwhrld said...

I actually saw a pheasant the other day, in the exact same spot as the mouse. I probably could have caught it if I hadn't been on my way to work. Other than that, I rarely hear birds, let alone see them here. And I don't really consider birds an exotic form of animal, since I saw so many of them back home.