Thursday, April 8, 2010

Europe-bound!


This is my map. This is my map of Europe. Specifically, I have labeled it with the places I will be going this summer on my first ever trip to Europe. And I am SO EXCITED! You may have noticed that I did not opt for the more common Western Europe trip, including France, Spain, England, Italy, etc. I have instead, opted for Eastern Europe, planning on Poland, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and Germany. There are several reasons for this:

1) My friend Steph lives in the Czech Republic. She is the main reason I am going to Europe, instead of the closer, and cheaper, Southeast Asia or IndoChina. I haven't seen her since she left Uijeongbu, and not only is this a great excuse to see her, but it means I have a travel buddy in Europe.

2) I have some family history in a tiny little town called Bolekhiv. My dad's side of the family was part of a large Jewish population in that town before the war. So I'm going to try to find anyone that may be related to me, though I'm assuming that the only way to do that is by looking through the cemetery for headstones with my last name in Hebrew on it.

3) I love travel of any kind. I've only been to two continents (Asia and North America), and Europe would make my third. Only four more to go after that...

4) Why not???

So the plan is:
Fly into Warsaw on July 24th. Get a place and stay the night, since my plane lands late. Wander around Warsaw for the day and see what there is to see. Get a train ticket to Lviv, Ukraine, or even possibly straight to Bolekhiv. If I go through Lviv, spend a day there, then go to Bolekhiv. If I don't have to go through Lviv, I'll spend an extra day in Bolekhiv. Try to find anything/everything related to my family history.

On or about the 29th (Thurs), go to Prague. Meet up with Steph, and spend a day or two in Prague.

Then together, head to southwest Germany. Nuremberg, Munich, and any/everything in between. Take our time, and do what we want, for however long we want. Fly out of Munich on August 12th, back in Seoul Friday morning.

Can't wait!!

4 comments:

persistentillusion said...

I told Chris you were heading to Eastern Europe and he got so excited. "We should go!"

You've already talked me into going to South Korea sometime, but I NEVER thought you would talk me into Eastern Europe.

I can't wait to see your pictures!

dreemwhrld said...

I wasn't that excited at first, but the more I read about the area, the more excited I get. The Alps, the Carpathian Mountains, a route through Germany called the "Romantic Road", mountains, valleys, palaces, history, museums, art halls, different languages...

How could you not want to go?!

Unknown said...

Sarajevo

dreemwhrld said...

Hmm... a little farther south than I plan on going. Perhaps next time, though.