Friday, July 11, 2008

That's what I get for giving in

Ice cream. I've been wanting it for a month. I was a little leery, since I'd heard they had rather odd flavors here, so I hadn't actually ventured out to try any. I had actually made the trip to the corner store to get some a few weeks ago, but ended up coming back with dried squid instead (don't ask). But this time I was determined. So I was sorting through the VERY limited selection (I think there were 10 tubs total, about 4 different varieties), and came accross what looked like mint chocolate chip.

I looked to see if there was any English on the container, since one of them had said walnut, on what I would have sworn was vanilla. I'm pretty sure that the large white letters are pronounced too-geh-dah, but that doesn't mean anything to me. I even checked to make sure those looked like little mint leaves on the side. Everything looked like it was on the up-and-up, so I purchased it and walked the two blocks home. 

I open it up, take out my spoon and take a few bites. It's different, but then again I wasn't expecting Bryers or Haggen Daaz or anything. But there seemed to be something a little off. I figure maybe they have a different strain of mint here, but there's something oddly familiar about what I'm tasting. And then it hits me. Those aren't little chocolate chips in there. Those are whole red beans. Red beans and mint ice cream. I've had the red bean cookies here, which are more like little puffed donuts filled with red bean paste. The paste itself is actually pretty good, but whole red beans still preserve their 'beanie-ness', and hence rather ruined the indulgence for me. Oh well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's so SAD. The container looked so promising!

Sam said...

Ah! What you got was Green Tea flavor.
Hi, my name is yueliang.
And I'm from Japan. (I have also lived in Seoul for half a year in 1998) I was surfing Blogger and arrived here. Nice to know you. :)

dreemwhrld said...

Thanks! Now I know... and knowing is half the battle. :)