Thursday, November 6, 2008

Allow me to wax political for a moment

Regardless of how you feel about the election or how you voted, it was a historical event, and an election that will go down in the history books. I will remember it for a completely different reason.

First of all, I voted for the first time via absentee ballot. I do not usually vote in local elections, because I am usually (sadly) quite uninformed about the issues on the ballot. I would rather not vote, than vote against something I believe in, or for something I don't. I have never, however, missed a presidential election since I turned 18 (which has only been three, but still). I'm usually very forgetful about these sorts of things, but I managed to get myself a ballot in snail mail in enough time for it to be counted. And luckily I was able to sit at my desk at work while voting, because there were a few things on the Florida ballot that I hadn't heard of (like No 2), and wanted to vote on, but I wasn't sure about the wording. I was able to look on the internet with the ballot in my hand to find out what they meant and how I wanted to vote.

The second, and more important reason that I will remember this election is what happened later on in the day. I have one co-worker from DC that had been watching the internet and the polls to see who was winning. She and I were both excited as in between classes we watched the numbers grow for Obama. During one of my afternoon breaks, we discovered it was certain. A few hours later, my Korean co-workers asked if I had seen the presidential election results. I replied with a resounding whoop that I had. They seemed just as excited about it as I was. Though I was on my way to a class, this made me wonder - why were they excited about an election in another country? I was certainly never interested in elections outside the US.

Later that night I went out for dinner and drinks like I do every Wednesday with four other people from Canada, Britain, Scotland, and South America. We must have toasted Obama a half a dozen times throughout the night - and never once was it my idea. We forget sometimes as Americans that the whole world is watching us, and sometimes not in a good way (like an ant under a magnifying glass). Not that we are that important or special, but because what we do as a country has a direct impact on the rest of the world. Foreign policy, military strategy, tolerance, religion; all of our values and morals are being scrutinized by the rest of the world. Keep that in mind the next time you vote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy are you not kidding! I can't even tell you how many emails I get from international people about our country and why we do the things we do. All of my international peeps have had their eyes glued to our election and, as far as I know, every single one of them was pulling for Obama.

I would really not like to let the world down again.